Monday, November 16, 2009

Coalition for Affordable Housing Meeting Minutes:
09/15/09

1. A community member shared her experiences with being evicted twice through the Porter County Court system and expressed a need for a person or department to take complaints and enforce contracts between landlords and tenants and a Liaison or Advocate to investigate prior to the implementation of a 5-day eviction notice.

2. A Chicago Tenants’ Rights Advocacy Group was discussed as a template for such programming.

3. In Valparaiso, the Mayor’s Group provides housing suggestions.

4. It was discussed that there is a law that states that a security deposit cannot be used for missed rent, only damages, cleaning carpet, or painting walls.

5. Referral sources were discussed. Indiana Legal Services works with housing and eviction issues.

6. The Coalition discussed a web-based resource list to focus on housing referrals.

7. There is a need to collect data to determine what the community needs from legislators.

8. CCA discussed that the Front Door Project will eventually be able to help with applications for Medicaid, Food Stamps, and other community/Government assistance.

9. It was recommended that the Coalition utilize Google Apps for a $10.00 registration fee to create the resource website.

10. The website will include updated referrals to community assistance agencies. Indiana Government offices provide a resource website of helpful numbers that the Coalition can enhance. People in need of housing can access the website through the Front Door program and the Coalition will approach libraries to allow individuals to access this website without a library card.

11. Task Forces were assigned:
a. Website and Resource list development Task Force
b. Advocacy Task Force

12. CCA will have their Front Door Program Open house today from 2:00 pm until 4:00 pm

13. The next meeting is scheduled for November 17th, 2009 at Porter County United Way.

1 comment:

  1. That community member mentioned is me. I'm glad to say that this is something that's very important to me, and I vow to continue until changes are made.

    Please understand that I ~do~ feel eviction must be a neccessary option for landlords. If a tenant isn't paying, they can't expect to live there for free. What happens AFTER is what floors me.

    BUT if there was a liaison or special advocate, then it would be determined what the cause is PRIOR to being given 5 days to vacate, and/or a ridiculous damages claim being awarded.

    Also, as far as I can see, evidence entered can be less than adequate, (if any) and apparently also can based on oath to tell the truth. Sorry, I know two landlords that are liars. I'd be surprised to hear that mine are extenuating cases. But I'd hate to hear it's rampant in the courtroom-- that families are being displaced with only days to vacate, and that damages awarded wreak further havoc on them.

    I admit I'm passionate about this. My cases have already been heard, but yours may have just begun. I am going to post this anywhere and everywhere for all to see. I care.

    I can be reached at MissAnonaGirl@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete